Disclosure: My posts contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You won’t pay a penny more, but I will receive a small commission
“mmmmm fresh bread” is usually what I am met with when one of my daughters smells the fresh gluten free bread in the oven.
Every time I here it, I smile. 😊 I smile because my girls will have grown up on homemade bread, getting to smell this delicious smell at least twice a week, even though they are gluten free!
If you are gluten free or have a family member who is gluten free, you can relate to the gluten free bread saga! Its just so hard to find a good one.
When you do find a good one, the expense of it makes you want to scream! In my case, with me and all 3 of my daughter’s gluten free, we can blow through a whole $6.99 loaf of gluten free bread in one meal. And $6.99 is if I have found it on sale.
When I started this healthy homemade journey 3 years ago, I knew one of the first things to change in our diets was the processed expensive gluten free bread. The problem was every recipe I tried, didn’t turn out good.
Finding the RIGHT gluten free bread recipe.
I wanted to make my own gluten free bread that actually tasted good and that everyone would like! After a very long journey, with a lot of failed attempts I finally was able to nail down the perfect gluten free bread recipe.
This bread recipe is the only recipe you will need. It is perfect for sandwiches, for toast, French toast, and more!
The thing to remember when baking gluten free breads is they will not look like a regular bread dough. It is more like a thick cake batter and you need ingredients like eggs and xanthan gum to bind everything together.
But don’t be discouraged! This is the simplest recipe to follow. It has been our staple recipe that we make a double batch at least twice a week for years!
Ingredients (It’s also dairy free!):
- Brown or white rice flour
- tapioca flour
- xanthan gum
- baking powder
- warm water
- avocado oil (or any oil of your choice)
- apple cider vinegar
Gluten Free Bread Recipe Directions:
- Place warm water, yeast, and honey into a stand mixer and turn it on for a second to mix. Let it sit and proof.
- In a separate bowl weigh out your two flours. Add in xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to your stand mixer along with the eggs, oil, and vinegar.
- Turn mixer on and let go for about 3 minutes. You will have a very thick cake batter consistently.
- Pour into a well greased bread pan and let rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it reaches just to the top of the bread pan.
- After the rise bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Immediately remove from the oven and dump bread out of the pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.
- Store on the counter in a ziploc bag for about 4-5 days. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Shop This Post:
I buy the rice flour and tapioca flour on amazon when I am in a pinch, however I usually buy them in bulk on Azure Standard and the rest of the ingredients you probably already have on hand, if you do any kind of baking!
Come check out how I grocery shop monthly on Azure Standard.
** disclaimer this recipe is dairy free however it does have eggs in it. I have never tried it with an egg replacer but would love to hear in the comments how it turns out, if you choose to try it that way!
When making this gluten free bread recipe, it works best to use a stand mixer. My stand mixer is the work horse of my kitchen! However you can use a hand mixer if you don’t have one.
Since the bread is not really a dough but a cake batter consistency, using a different kind of bread pan is highly important. You need a bread pan with tall sides to be able to get a good loaf. Here is the USA bread pan that I use to make my gluten free bread.
Gluten Free Bread
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 TBSP honey
- 6 oz brown rice flour, white rice flour, or millet flour
- 4 oz tapioca starch
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 eggs
- Add warm water, active dry yeast, and honey to your stand mixer. Let proof until it is warm and bubbly.
- While your yeast is proofing, use a kitchen scale to measure out the tapioca starch and rice flour. Add in xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder to the flours and mix.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the stand mixer with the proofed yeast.
- Add in the eggs, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar.
- Turn mixer on low and let mix for 3-4 minutes, or until you have a thick cake batter looking dough.
- Using a USA bread pan, that is well buttered, scrape batter in. Use a spatula to spread out evenly.
- Stick pan in a warm place (I usually stick it in my oven with the light on) to rise for about an hour, or until it rises to the top of your pan.
- Once it has risen enough, bake in a 350° oven for 50 minutes.
- Take break out of oven and remove from pan immediately to cool on a wire rack. This step is extra important for the texture of your bread. Do not let the bread cool in the pan!
- Wait until the bread has cooled completely (minimum of 2 hours) before slicing. Store in a Ziploc bag on counter for 3-4 days or freeze until ready to use. Do not refrigerate, this will make it go stale. Enjoy!
If you prefer to watch the video on how I make this bread, you can watch it here!👇
Now you can bake and eat your own gluten free bread every week!
We use this bread for all bread needs: sandwiches, toast, French toast, grilled cheese and more! Finding a bread recipe that is gluten free has been such a blessing for me and my girls, I pray it is a blessing for you as well! 😊