“I’m hungry!” the words every mom hears at least 50 times a day…. Ok maybe 50 times a day is an exaggeration, but it is a phrase that I hear ALL. THE. TIME.
I do my very best to not buy processed snacks at the grocery store, so this phrase can make me anxious when I am not prepared. Luckily, I have a recipe to share today that will put your anxious feelings to rest the next time your littlest one says, “I’m hungry!”
Graham crackers were one of the first snacks I started making for my girls. Even well before I started this homesteading journey or even learning about our health and what is in our food.
I love this recipe because I have been able to adapt and change it to fit whatever our needs are at the time.
When my middle daughter was suffering from eczema and we were changing our diet completely, I made these with water or almond milk instead of milk. Also, the original recipe called for shortening but I have adapted that for butter now. If you are dairy free and want to avoid butter, you can substitute for a vegan spread or coconut oil. The coconut oil may change the taste slightly though!
Ok, now lets get to it!
Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- 2 Cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour I use Cup 4 Cup
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum Omit if your blend already has it in it. Cup 4 Cup already has xanthan gum in it.
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 TBSP Milk
- 3 TBSP Honey
- 5 TBSP Softened Butter
- 1 TBSP Vanilla
- Add GF flour, brown sugar, baking soda, xathan gum (if using), and salt into a stand mixer and turn on for a second to mix.
- Add honey, milk, vanilla, and softened butter and turn on mixer. Continue to mix until it forms a dough. Do not add more liquid, it will come together with time.
- Wrap your dough ball in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 20 minutes or until ready to roll it out. I have left it in the fridge for days and then rolled it out!
- Roll dough out in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. I make it about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out using a cookie cutter of choice!
- Bake at 350 degree for about 10 minutes. If you want them to be super crunchy bake a little longer. Enjoy!
These are a great fun snack that everyone enjoys. We like them just as they are, but you could also sprinkle some cinnamon/sugar mixture on top before baking for a little treat! Or even put a little cinnamon right into the dough as it is mixing. So many variations to try!
Another great thing about these graham crackers is they are great for smores when camping! No more missing out on the smores for all my gluten free friends out there!
I keep the graham crackers in an air-tight container in the pantry to grab as we want. They will keep for a couple weeks in there, if they don’t get eaten too fast first!
Now go enjoy a homemade graham cracker and some milk on the side for your next snack of the day! 😊
Check out my stories on Instagram @ourfarmhouseliving for a video tutorial!