You know when you are walking through the mall and you can just smell the soft pretzel stand…. I can imagine it as I type it.
When you are gluten free, unfortunately it stops at the smells! You are unable to treat yourself with a hot soft pretzel with gooey cheese sauce….
I am sorry to say, you can’t just go to a stand and get them. You will have to put in the work…. But man is it worth it!
These gluten free soft pretzels are so very delicious and not super complicated to make! Whip up a batch of my homemade cheese sauce to dip them in and you are in for a really delicious treat!
We like to eat these for lunch or just for a snack in the afternoon. The recipe makes about 11-12 pretzels (depending on how big you make them) and you can bake them all and then freeze what you don’t eat for later! Of course, they are the best hot right out of the oven. But reheated in the microwave is a close second! 😊
Gluten Free Soft Pretzel
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2-4 cups gluten free all purpose flour I use Cup 4 Cup
- Butter and additional salt for topping after baking
Baking Soda Bath
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- In a large bowl add the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let it sit and proof for about 15 minutes.
- Mix in the salt and 3 1/2 cups of gluten free flour. Mix it with a spoon first and then with your hands to form it into a ball of dough. Make sure it is not sticky. If your dough is sticky at all, add more flour a little bit at a time until it is easy to work with and not sticking to your hands.
- Once you have a ball of dough, stick it into a well oiled clean bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. Place in a warm spot to rise for about 30-45 minutes.
- After dough has rose, punch it down. Remove it from the bowl and cut into 11-12 even pieces. This doesn't have to be exact but close enough so your pretzels all end up around the same size.
- On the stove use a medium size pot and put 4 cups of water with 1/2 cup baking soda in it and bring it to a bowl.
- While your pot is coming to a boil, roll each piece out on the counter into a long thin snake and shape it into a pretzel. Pinch the ends into the dough so they stay together when baking!
- Once your pot is in a rolling boil, drop each pretzel into the baking soda bath for 30 seconds. Doing one at a time.
- After each pretzel has gone through the baking soda bath, bake on a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat at 400° for 12 minutes or until the tops are nicely golden.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy hot!
When you are gluten free there are many things that you THINK you have to miss out on. But as long as your willing to be creative in the kitchen, try new things, and put a little effort into it, you don’t have to miss out on much! Enjoy these yummy pretzels!
If you are looking for a video tutorial, make sure to follow me on Instagram @ourfarmhouseliving to see a tutorial in stories!